Home Page


Monday, April 11, 2011

7pm Eastern-The Comic Shoppe Opens: Discussing Zod for New Supes Film (Again!), The Village Voice's Comic Issue, Latest Green Lantern Trailer & more!




It's time to open the Comic Shoppe show....as always, every Tuesday at 7pm eastern. Keeping matters simple-stop by to listen to Daryll B, Captain Kirk and Dburt pontificate on sci-fi, fantasy and video game issues such as: Zack Snyder's highly anticipated Man of Steel film appears to have chosen its villain....and it's General Zod!; a more fleshed out Green Lantern trailer hits the net (above); the New York Village Voice newspaper has its special comic issue; and speaking of newspapers, the NY Newsday highlights a local comic store and its adult clientele; Newsarama waxes on the poorest (and wealthiest) fictional characters and lastly, our favorite graphic novel reads from the prior weeks. Call us live at-646-915-9620 or contact us via email/IM-afronerdradio@yahoo.com.

Afronerd Radio Presents The Comic Shoppe!

And for your further edification and enjoyment, here's the latest blog musing from The Comic Shoppe's own Daryll B-

Good Day AfroNerd Followers! This little blog will be smaller than usual due to my attendance to a wedding over the weekend upstate... (Congrats Tim and Amie!) but no worries, I got enough snark to hit a few topics:

1) In honor of DBurt's "shock" over The Walking Dead's previous issue, I present this from The Gutters:

http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/120-jeff-mccomsey


2) Just for Captain Kirk's amusement, I present this latest Chris Sims' article that disputes Jeff Parker's claim that a Caveman could defeat a Shaolin Monk:


http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/04/08/ask-chris-52-shaolin-vs-caveman-batman-vs-hamlet/


3) It is always fun for me to get the sense of a convention from someone who is attending their first one. Jill Pantozzi from Newsrama does that about WonderCon here...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/hey-thats-my-cape-wondercon-2011-110406.html

4) We all knew he'd be coming back to the shield in time for his movie, but my frustration and snark at the P.R. hype surrounding Steve Rogers becoming Captain America again is perfectly illustrated here:

http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/121-sean-izaakse

5) Need a full coverage place that has all the major non-comic happenings from WonderCon? IGN has got you covered:

http://www.ign.com/events/wondercon

This week, I am going to hit you folks with quick hits instead of a reclamation project:

- I can't believe the buzz that this Arnold Schwarzenegger comic/cartoon has gotten. A lot of folks at the wedding and even hotel staff on the day after were asking me questions about it when they saw me reading a comic in the lobby.

- A lot of online buzz about the WonderCon Green Lantern trailer and how it was better than the first. My question to you all: "Isn't the second trailer of a movie SUPPOSED to be much better than the first?"

- Last blog, I gave you the part one of a great analysis of DC Universe crossover events from Tim Callahan and Graeme McMillan. Here is the part two:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=31696

I love the way that even though the two writers fundamentally disagree over the events in questions, both viewpoints are presented without demeaning the other's ideology.

- Meanwhile, Brian Cronin breaks down one of my favorite comics ever: Deadpool #11 from the Joe Kelly days:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2011/04/07/the-comic-book-fools-of-april-deadpool-time-travels-into-an-old-issue-of-spider-man/

The mashing up of 60's sensibilities to Deadpool's 90's sarcasm/viewpoint is still hilarious to me today dammit!

- Finally, David Brothers gives an interesting viewpoint about reviewers/critics/fans over at 4th Letter that bears looking at:

http://www.4thletter.net/2011/04/the-cipher-040611-imagine-if-this-was-the-last-rhyme-i-ever-wrote/

Again, as a guy who at times represents the dark side of fans nature, I came to a point where I felt I HAD to become more positive. Hence, my recent slate of 're-tooling' comics and movies that have great potential. Where do you stand when you personally review something AfroNerd Readers?

That's it for me this week but I will leave you with this nugget: next week, I will 'save' the Star Wars movie franchise.... Yeah, I know. I have a LOT of work ahead of me...

Until I write again AfroNerd readers, Keep Fantasizing!

No comments: