Home Page


Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Not Sure What To Think about This......Or Rather How The Media Is Reporting This-Actress Selma Hayek Breast Feeds African Child!




I have to think about this for the next 24 hours. Full disclosure moment....I find Selma Hayek extremely attractive and actually thought her film, Frida (about the reknowned artist, Frida Calo) was a great cinematic feast. But between this story and Octo-Mom-I have my concerns and reservations. Let's just say that that the media has positioned this story in the same vein as a canine nursing tiger cubs. You get the inference. Am I wrong or am I being too sensitive? Here's more on this issue, courtesy of News.com.au:

SALMA Hayek was so taken aback by the plight of an African woman in Sierra Leone who was unable to breastfeed her child that the star breastfed the newborn herself.

The incident was captured on camera by a television crew from US TV show Nightline whom Hayek allowed accompany her on the goodwill trip in September.

Nightline have aired the footage on their program and YouTube clips have been circulating the internet, prompting a divisive response from bloggers and parenting websites.

The 42-year-old actress, who was nursing her own daughter Valentina at the time, offered to help when the baby's mother stopped producing milk.


What a generous, kind and beautiful thing to do. I am a breastfeeding mum and if my child was hungry I would be forever grateful to someone like Salma to care for him.

Rebecca of newcastle

"The baby was perfectly healthy, but the mother didn't have milk. He was very hungry. I was weaning Valentina, but I still had a lot of milk that I was pumping, so I breast-fed the baby.

"You should have seen his eyes. When he felt the nourishment, he immediately stopped crying," said Hayek.

The actress and UNICEF spokesperson visited the West African country in September as part of her involvement in the fight against tetanus, one of the reasons Sierra Leone has the highest infant and child death rate in the world.

No comments: