Home Page


Thursday, March 15, 2007

And Now Introducing.........Ms. Amy Winehouse



It seems like I'm always frackin' (shout out to Battlestar fans-I'm just discovering that show as well) late to the party when it comes to new cultural pleasures. Case in point, Ms. Amy Winehouse. I heard her haunting, Shirley Basseyesque voice on the radio here and there, but she has just started to pierce my consciousness as of late. I think she has a refreshing and different voice, but two things quickly come to mind. One, she is yet another White singer doing music that was once commonplace for African-American artists during the bygone 60s soul music era. And two, she proves yet again, that the Brits have excellent taste in music. Sometimes I fall into the trap of making everything about race but that is really not the case. I appreciate and look forward to everyone to produce fullfilling and thought provoking music-I just wish I saw more of it coming from people of color. I'm tired of relying on my old Stevie, Miles and Prince records to satiate my musical hunger. Okay...I never really get tired of "She's Always in My Hair" or "Higher Ground," I just long for newer artistry to blow my mind. Anyway, take a look at Winehouse's video above-perhaps the times they are a-changin.' Or maybe not.

No comments: