Home Page


Thursday, November 23, 2006

For the Die-Hard Trekkie(or Trekker)



I would definitely consider myself a mild Star Trek enthusiast. My interest in Trekdom would fall somewhere between Trekkie and a Trekker. Believe it or not, many have hypothesized that there are differences between these two types of fans. Despite where I would be placed on the Trekdom scale, imagine my surprise when I discovered that Paramount recently released Star Trek: The Animated Series, a non canonical continuation of the original series. The animated version, which was broadcast in 1973 and barely made it through two seasons, is a surprsingly good interpolation of its live-action predecessor. I just purchased the new DVD release and have seen approximately 8 half hour episodes(out of the 22) thus far. To be honest, I barely remember this series(unlike Gigantor and Speed Racer for some reason) as a kid so it's definitely a fresh treat for someone familiar with the original series. The gang's all here-the original cast, sans Walter Koenig(Chekov) provided the voice talent for the short lived series. The animation, developed by Filmation Studios, is archaic by today's standards however the video transfer is excellent. Do yourself a favor and check out this excellent stocking stuffer for the upcoming (and annoying) holiday season. Also click on the link below for Wikipedia's synopsis of Star Trek Animated:

  • Star Trek: The Animated Series
  • No comments: