Home Page


Sunday, May 21, 2006

Wondertwin powers activate! Form of... A Black Church...Form of a Drug Dealer!





If any generation x-er is familiar with the Wondertwins, they were twin brother and sister superheroes that appeared regularly on the 70s Superfriends cartoon show. You might be wondering what do these goofy characters have to do with the above title. The Wondertwins's powers acted in collusion-by touching hands they were able to access their respective powers. In my estimation, some Black Churches and neighborhood drug dealers possess similar abilities and hence inact similar damage. If you toured many urban African American cities and towns, more than likely you will notice a plethora of store-front local churches. I have seen as many as five or six on one city block, none of which having any affiliation with the other. I do not want to cast a broad brush against all churches, I'm sure there are many that are truly doing God's work. But what about those that are not. It pains me to see new construction(usually a church)in a neighborhood and it not being a business that would uplift the community and perhaps give its residents a chance at employment. I think the drug dealer being an anathema to the Black community speaks for itself. But just as some of these churches are what I refer to as "hope merchants," I would also use that same moniker with those who peddle illegal drugs. Perhaps I'm looking at this wrong, as many would consider religion to be synonymous with the monetary pursuits. Would you really trust someone named Creflo A. Dollar? The funny thing is that his real name. I think I may have to change my name to....Mr. Desmond Not Goingforit!

No comments: